Wednesday, June 11, 2008

His Scribble, My Scribble


Please click to see detail
So this morning ,I was visiting Eric Orchard's blog, ( one of my favorite blogs to visit) and he was
telling us how coffee had gotten spilled over, oh about 2 weeks of drawings he had done for a book he is illustrating. Yikes ! But, that got me thinking about work of mine that has gone the way of the "Doe Doe" for what ever reason. Most of my mishaps were due to my darling children trying to help Mom with her art. So, I told Eric I would post this painting. After my son had also worked on it (scribble) , well, it felt like a happy accident. I called the piece "His Scribble, My Scribble". That was about 15, 16 years ago and it was Gabriel's handy work, he is the one who just graduated from HS. The portrait is of him & myself, maybe that's why he felt he needed to add his touch. Anyway, I LoVe this little portrait. And hey, Gabriel has become an amazing artist & will be going to art school next year.
So, Do You Have A Story You Would Like To Share, About A Piece Of Art That Had A Happy or Sad , Unplanned Ending? Leave a comment and post your story, post your piece on your blog , if it is still around and we will come see it. : ) have a grand day! amy

11 comments:

Jack Riddle said...

This is lovely Amy. You have a very sensitive touch with these subjects and your renderings of them are just right!

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Thank you Jack. :)amy

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Oh Amy, this is Beautiful! What medium did you use?

"His Scribble, My Scribble" is a precious idea :)

Unknown said...

It's a really beautiful picture and knowing who helped only gives it more meaning. Jack's right, you do have a great deal of sensitivity. Reminds me of Mary Cassat.

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Thanks you Anthony, it was done in water color, pen& ink and pastel.


Well you know I love Mary, she is one of my favorites. Thank you Eric.

Susan Carlin said...

Love your story, Amy. Since you asked, I'll share one of mine- I'd painted a pastel of men eating in a Mexican restaurant, titled "Caldo" and had won an award for it. Then my sister needed the frame for something right NOW, so I unframed it and left it in my studio under what turned out to be a broken skylight. I learned it was broken by discovering that the painting had been misted all over. I had had white fabric slung under the skylight to diffuse the light, so it diffused the leaked water, too. At first I was horrified and assumed it was ruined. But the water had evaporated and I decided to repair it. As I began to work on it, I realized it was beautiful the way it was. With just the exception of a couple of places that needed repainting, the dotted effect was WONDERFUL! I reframed it and entered it in another show and it won another award. People kept asking me how I got that effect!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful and if there's a scribble on it then it was destined! I love the story that goes with this, you must be very proud of your arty son. :)

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Yes Jess, I sure am. This weekend he went to an Annimai (spelling?)Convention, in Virginia Beach. But, he used to hate when I drew, it took my attention away from him. Thanks for coming by.

kathy hare said...

this is a beautiful portrait.. very expressive

ArtGirl said...

Aww that is sooo sweet....It chokes me up..I just got my 4 year olds pre-school yearbook today...Under what she wanted to be when she grew up she wrote "an artist, like mommy"...I love seeing her enjoy what I enjoy! I imagine it is the same with you and your son...This painting is beautiful...You can FEEL the tenderness! :-)

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Thank you Katie. And the good part about having a parent who is an artist, & growing up to be one too. IS, he is way ahead of where I was at his age.He has been around art his whole life.
I had very art loving parents,but, it was not what they did for a living.
Thanks for coming by.